Friday, November 9, 2012

2012_11_09 Kathmandu

Saw 10 off to the airport around 9:15.  They are flying to Bhutan for another week.  I am jealous.....


Richie, Paul, Ann, Bobi, Gayle,Mardi and Peter - Rich is arranging something, I'm sure.  Packed and ready to transfer to airport.  We'll miss you......


Mardi, Richie and Bobi looking out from bus as they head to airport for flight to Bhutan.


Lobby of Hyatt Regency Kathmandu


Back of the Hyatt.  A pretty nice pool was out there.  We never got to use it.  Rediker Travel Club doesn't allow for lally-gagging!  We're heading out the back gate towards the stupa.


Here's a view of the pool from a room

Paul and Lorraine and Connie and I walked over to the Boudhanath Stupa to see what is happening and do some last minute shopping.  The Tibetan monks are having some sort of ceremony with as Connie put it a cacphonous din.  Loud horns, clanging os cymbals and drumming with chanting.  Sounds like what we would think monks chanting would be.  Buddhist people are walking clockwise around the huge stupa spinning 108 prayer wheels as they complete the circuit.  This is really the first time we saw much Buddhist activity - prior to this it was mostly Hindu.




I really wish I got a better image of the horn section.  Amazing sounds with the drums, cymbals, horns and chanting.


In the background is a ticket booth that absolutely no one paid the admission fee.  Literally, no one.  Why the woman sits there, I don't know.  I guess we should have paid.....


Little kid outside his mom's shop


Interesting guy......


This is the Boudhanath Stupa.  We are sitting on a rooftop restaurant listening to the monks chanting and eating some remarkable vegetable curry and vegetable noodles AS I type this!  They have free WI-FI here and although slow it seems to be working!

We saw Lorraine and Paul off to the airport around 12:15 and walked over to the stupa for some lunch at The Paradise Restaurant.  The sun has gone behind the clouds and the picture I am about to take should be better.  Anyway, because the images take so much time I may stick to text.  We are going to head to the airport around 6:15 or 6:30 to start our way back to the U.S.


Here's our view from the rooftop of the Paradise Restaurant


That's where we had lunch - Free WI-FI to boot.


I had to try one more!  This guy looked pretty happy to me.  Then he made the international sign for money - rubbing the finger and thumb together.  Since I never have any $ I had to decline...



Amongst the prayer flags on the second level of the stupa


Guardians at the front of the stupa.  We made a complete circuit.




Headed back to the Hyatt - I like the pink thermos


Same monk stopping for truck to pass


I could have used a haircut - Not enough time!


Portable chili pepper stand


Small workshop along the way


Back street to Hyatt



Guard at the back gate.  He just let us in


Inside the Hyatt almost ready to head to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment